Lions Scholarship Criteria
Eligibility - Palisades High School seniors who intend to further their education beyond high school in one of three career paths:
The Springfield Township Lions Club will award three separate, cash scholarships, the first of which will be presented to a student who attends a four year college or university, the second of which will be presented to a student who attends a two year community college, and the third of which will be presented to a student who attends a vocational / technical school.
Interested applicants must attach two essays to the standard PHS application form:
- One essay that specifically details examples of the applicant’s community service both inside and outside of school and
- One essay that describes how the student intends to use the money if he / she were selected as one of the three recipients.
- Selected by a committee appointed by the President of the Club.
- Date of selection: By 1st Friday in May, 3 p.m.
Type of Award:
Three (3) cash grants of up to $1,000.00 to be presented to recipients at Senior Awards Night in May of each school year.
- Determination of the recipients of this award shall be without reference to G.P.A., race, sex, color, or creed.
- All recipients must have been enrolled at PHS for the entire school year.
- The decision of the committee / Board of Directors shall be without appeal.
- The Scholarship Selection Committee has the discretion to award two (2) stipends in any one of the eligibility categories (four-year College / University, two-year Community College, or Vocational / Technical School) if there is no viable candidate in one of the other eligibility categories. For example, if no student applies for the two-year Community College Scholarship, the Scholarship Committee has the discretion to award two scholarships in one of the other two eligibility categories.
- The Scholarship Selection Committee has the discretion, depending on a given recipient’s financial / personal situation, to award the cash grant directly to the institution of higher learning OR to present the cash grant directly to the recipient.
- In the event of a tie, all efforts shall be made to determine which candidate has the greatest need for the monetary assistance.